Problems with Xorg after portupgrade

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 14:02:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:58:15 +0300
Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 03:58:10 +0200
>> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> There's a new setting that needs to be put into xorg.conf:
>>>
>>> 	Section "ServerFlags"
>>> 		Option "DontZap" "false"
>>> 	EndSection
>>>
>>> Then you should be able to Ctrl+Alt+BkSpace to kill X.
>>>

>> Maybe I am reading this incorrectly; however, in my /etc/xorg.conf
>> file, I have this notation.
>>
>> # Uncomment this to disable the <Ctrl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
>> # This allows clients to receive this key event.
>>
>> #    Option "DontZap"
>>
>> It would seem the language is confusing. As I would understand it,
>> uncommenting the line disables the sequence. Therefore, it would seem
>> to indicate that leaving it commented out activates the sequence.
>> Maybe the language should be cleaned up.
>>

>Heh, it can be quite confusing because it enables the system to *not*
>do something, which is the reverse of what we usually think options do.
>Using Option "DontZap" simply enables  "DontZap" which prevents
>CTRL+ALT+BSKP from being used. Hence disabling DontZap allows X-Server
>to be... Zapped or killed by the key  combination ;)

I agree. I hate programmers who think they have to 'confuse' the end
user. Setting something off to enable it, and vice versa is neither
logical or intuitive.

Maybe changing the option to:  OPTION "EnableKill" "On"
and then explaining the with it enabled the <CTRL>+<ALT>+<BKSP> key
combination is enabled would make more sense.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Good day to deal with people in high places;
particularly lonely stewardesses.