missing xorgconfig

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Apr 16 19:52:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 08:10:24PM +0200, kenneth hatteland wrote:

> Having reinstalled my laptop twice and updated to stable 7.2 prerelease
> but each time no xorgconfig exists as I am used to. xfce4 starts ok, but
> I get the known mouse locked problem and would love and xorg.conf to
> edit as  I have learned but it doesn`t exist.
>
> Anyone know hos to install xorgconfig manually ??

You don't really want xorgconfig though it should exist in /usr/local/bin.

What you want is    'Xorg -configure'

Note the uppercase  'X'  on Xorg  and in the  'X -config'  command below.

Then, after it makes the xorg.conf.new file in the home directory (root's -
hopefully you are doing this from root) you run  'X -config xorg.conf.new'
to check it out.

NOTE: that Xorg and X are also in /usr/local/bin.   That needs to be
in your path.

After that, edit the xorg.conf.new file and add in a  subsection "Display"
under the screen section to give the resolution for the monitor screen
under the correct depth level.   Looks something like:

    SubSection "Display"
            Viewport   0 0
            Depth     16
            Modes   "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection

but with your correct depth and Modes.

Then, get rid of (comment out) all the other subsection "Display" blocks
that don't apply to your machine.  You could have more than one, but
generally not on an LCD screen.

Finally, copy that  xorg.conf.new file to  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After that, it is a matter of playing around with your window manager
and desktop utility.

////jerry