FreeBSD Upgrade: Ports That Need Rebuilding

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Apr 16 10:17:12 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 07:15:05 Roland Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:49:43AM +0400, Eugene L. wrote:
> > I am planning to update to CURRENT, been reading freebsd-current for
> > some time, apparently some ports require rebuilding as they are kernel
> > specific, like hal, so I wonder how to rebuild those ports automatically?
>
> If you switch to another major version of FreeBSD, the best course is to
> remove and reinstall all ports.

All ports depending on libc. Which is everything except scripts. Removal isn't
necessary. ports-mgmt/portmaster is one of those scripts that doesn't need
recompilation and can be used to force recompilation of all ports that need
it. Two for one deal.

I personally do make delete-old-libs /before/ recompiling ports this way,
because 1) I'm sure a port doesn't link to an old library and 2) the ports
that failed will complain more loudly.

However, when you're doing this for the first time, it's not a bad idea to
make a seperate slice for current and cross-install on there (the procedure is
documented in /usr/src/UPDATING). It's trivial to look at the stable slice's
/var/db/pkg and install all those ports, then copy over configuration files.
/home can be share without problems, providing you create the users again with
the same uid. The advantage is that you have a workable system to fall back on
whenever -current breaks something you need.
--
Mel