Need to change screen resolution...

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Apr 15 23:31:54 UTC 2009

Hi Quin.

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:10:01 -0600, "Q. Taylor" <qt3 at netsys.hn> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to find a way to change my current screen resolution from the
> default 720x426 (I think). [...] if I could increase the screen
> size to maybe 1028x756 that would be great.
>
> Any one knowing please email me the answer.

The common way to do this - was? - a setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

	Section "Screen"
	        Identifier      "Screen0"
	        Device          "Card0"
	        Monitor         "Monitor0"
	        Option          "Accel"
	        DefaultDepth    24
	        SubSection      "Display"
	                Depth   24
	                Visual  "TrueColor"
	                Modes   "1152x864"
	        EndSubSection
	EndSection

It is the "Modes" setting which in this example is 1152x864.

Since FreeBSD 7.0 I have problems with this mechanism (it selects
stupid screen sizes or even locks the machine - 1152x864 is the
highest value I can get), so for me, this dirty workaround in my
~/.xinitrc works:

	xrandr --size 1400x1050 &
	xrandr --fb 1400x1050 &

The use of xrandr should always work.

PS. Did you intendedly exclude the list from receiving answer?
    If not, you may forward my reply to the list.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0