Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:16:06 UTC 2009

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Manolis Kiagias
> <sonic2000gr at gmail.com <mailto:sonic2000gr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
>     (I have also written a complete set of steps for this - currently in
>     Greek only, but I will translate it sooner or later)
>

> Such a write-up really will be very useful , because part in the
> FreeBSD Handbook contains errors .
> For example :
>
> mount -t msdosfs -o -m=644 -M=755 /dev/da0s1 /mnt/username
> Error  -- Invalid switch M

You've forgotten the comma between the -o options:

mount -t msdosfs -o -m=644,-M=755 /dev/da0s1 /mnt/username

The example in the handbook is correct (I remember fixing it myself :) )

> Also examples for pw contain invalid switches .

If you do find problems in the documentation, please tell us exact
locations or submit doc-bug reports.

> The paages from man such as man pw are very difficult to use because
> they contain many switches and to understand use of those requires
> many trials due to combinatorial possible combinations and lack of
> ample examples .

Well, yes you need to study it carefully. It's easier than it looks at
first glance.

> People accustomed to Windows device management finds Unix device
> management really very difficult such as me . To understand and use of
> USB sticks in FreeBSD required much time .
> Among FreeBSD , Linux , and Windows , hardest to use is FreeBSD with
> respect device usage by the user .

It is not hard, you just have to learn how it works. Windows does a lot
of handholding, and so do many of the popular linux distros. FreeBSD
does not. You can only accomplish tasks that you understand, but there
is lot of stuff to read and is very well organized.
OTOH, you may not want to spend so much time if you just need to have an
average user's desktop.