make run-depends-list-recursive?

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Tue Apr 14 23:14:30 UTC 2009

Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009 03:56:15 Tim Judd wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com>wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is there a make target which will give a list of _all_ dependencies
>>> recursively not just next level up? Or a port? I tried
>>> ports-mgmt/pkg_tree but it only seems to work with installed ports.
>>>
>>> I don't care if I get duplicates as long as every dependency is listed at
>>> least once.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Chris
>> make all-depends-list
>
> Two things:
> 1) It surpresses config target and if a port has OPTIONS set, then you may get
> surprised once you've configured the port and ticked/unticked an option
> 2) It includes EXTRACT_DEPENDS, PATCH_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS, which
> typically don't end up in run dependencies. Looking at the subject this may
> not be what you need.
>
> make -C /usr/ports/category/portname -V LIB_DEPENDS -V RUN_DEPENDS
>
> will list the dependencies that will be registered in /var/db/pkg. Recurse
> through the list, take the second field split by : and run the above for each
> origin. Something like the script below, which calls the config target if not
> configured, remembers already visited dependencies and then prints the runtime
> dependency list.

Thanks Mel and Tim. I am trying to determine how much disk space the
distfiles for a port would use. I can get the file size from the
distinfo file in the port directory. So I need to list dependencies for
which a distfile would be downloaded.

I guess my question now is which targets or variables need to be
included to achieve that. (I know it includes build dependencies.
I didn't include build deps in the subject because I figured replies
would give me the principle and I could expand from that.)

I took a guess at the existence of BUILD_DEPENDS and added it into the
script. Running the modified script on multimedia/vlc I get the same
number of dependencies as make all-depends-list so make all-depends-list
is the same as make -V LIB_DEPENDS -V RUN_DEPENDS -V BUILD-DEPENDS for
vlc. Is that all I need for any port?

thanks

Chris