the 'make' command in the ports tree

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue Apr 14 23:07:29 UTC 2009

Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:08:21 +0200, dede <sserre.bx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a long time user of BSDs, and I don't find man pages or
>> documentation on the way I can master the port collection (specialy the
>> fonction of make).
>
> Did you try
>
> 	% man ports
>
> Don't miss
>
> 	% man portsnap
>

>> I found this, interesting:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-using.html, but some
>> interogations persist.
>
> Which are those?
>

>> I search a command that list all availables variables that afect program
>> installation, [...]
>
> Those are usually specifig to the port and are, in most cases,
> listed in its Makefile. Sometimes, they're documented, e. g.
> in /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/Makefile you'll find a header
> with explainations for the variables.
>
> There may be globally set variables that do have an effect on
> a specific port.
>
> 	% man make.conf
>
> gives a good summary, and have a look at the explainations given
> in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf.
>

>> [...] and all arguments I can give to the /usr/port/Makefile  (I
>> know about 'make search key= and name=' is there another?).
>
> Yes, "make install", "make deinstall", "make reinstall", "make
> config", "make clean", "make distclean", "make package" are
> very common ones for the ports. In /usr/ports, you can even
> use "make update" to update your ports collection.
>

>> Could anyone give me some cool addresses to learn on the subject?
>
> The FreeBSD Handbook, 4.5 Using the Ports Collection is excellent:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
> You mentioned it already.
>
> The FAQ, Chapter 7 User Applications, covers other activities:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/applications.html

No, you don't really want any of them.  The "make" man page isn't too bad as a
reference, but to learn it, what you want is the postscript writeup that comes
in FreeBSD's documents, in /usr/share/doc/psc/12.make/paper.ascii.gz.  I think
that that last directory can be parent to several different versions, depending
on what you have PRINTERDEVICE set to, so you could get (say) postscript.
Anyhow, whatever shows up at the bottom of that 12.make directory would be all
about "pmake" which is the parent of today's make, and that's a damned good one.