kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003? what to do?

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Tue Apr 14 14:31:40 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 14:11:02 VeeJay wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am keep getting this error on the screen. I have tried to solve this
> problem by myself but still no luck. Could anyone guide what to do to
> increase the limit and avoid this error?
>
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> Apr 14 11:08:08 server2 postfix/pickup[25022] : fatal : kqueue : Too many
> files open in the system
> Apr 14 11:08:08 server2 postfix/pickup[25023] : fatal : kqueue : Too many
> files open in the system
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1003, please see tuning(7)
>
> When this happens, I am unable to login on the server by consol or ssh. what
> to do? And I have to restart the server manually.... by on/off switch...

Check kern.openfiles sysctl to see if it is close to kern.maxfiles. Tune kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc (use bigger numbers).

kern.maxfiles: Maximum number of files
kern.maxfilesperproc: Maximum files allowed open per process
kern.openfiles: System-wide number of open files

HTH,
Pieter de Goeje