Creating a custom install disk for Freebsd?

Steve Lake steve.lake at raiden.net
Mon Apr 13 01:03:15 UTC 2009

         Hi all.  I'm looking at trying to create a custom install disk for
Freebsd based off an existing install to make reinstallation quick and
painless, similar to how apt-on-cd works for Linux.  The reason behind this
is I'm looking at going overseas for a couple years and will be leaving a
bsd server in my brother-in-law's care.  Since he's a hardware guy, if the
server fails, he can easily fix it and get it back up.  But he will be
clueless as to how to reinstall the server itself and get it running
afterwards (assuming the failure was caused by the HD failing).

         So I want to leave behind a cd that's setup in such a way that all
he has to do is pop it in, boot it up, and maybe answer a couple questions
prior to install.  After that the cd does the rest.  And when it's
finished, the system ends up with a fresh copy of the server as it was when
the snapshot was created, including all settings and applications.  It's
fine if the software isn't the latest.  I just need to make sure he can get
it up quickly and easily and then I'll handle the rest of the stuff
remotely from overseas, such as bringing it up to date. The goal is just to
make it as absolutely easy as I can for him to get working.  He's really
good with PC hardware, but he a total newb on the software side.

         So, is there something like this for Freebsd, or would I be forced
to use something like Clonezilla to create an image and go that route?  I'm
not very found of the disk image idea myself, but I can go that route if
need be.

Steven Lake
Owner/Technical Writer
Raiden's Realm