the 'make' command in the ports tree

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 12 20:17:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:08:21 +0200, dede <sserre.bx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a long time user of BSDs, and I don't find man pages or
> documentation on the way I can master the port collection (specialy the
> fonction of make).

Did you try

	% man ports

Don't miss

	% man portsnap

> I found this, interesting:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-using.html, but some
> interogations persist.

Which are those?

> I search a command that list all availables variables that afect program
> installation, [...]

Those are usually specifig to the port and are, in most cases,
listed in its Makefile. Sometimes, they're documented, e. g.
in /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/Makefile you'll find a header
with explainations for the variables.

There may be globally set variables that do have an effect on
a specific port.

	% man make.conf

gives a good summary, and have a look at the explainations given
in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf.

> [...] and all arguments I can give to the /usr/port/Makefile  (I
> know about 'make search key= and name=' is there another?).

Yes, "make install", "make deinstall", "make reinstall", "make
config", "make clean", "make distclean", "make package" are
very common ones for the ports. In /usr/ports, you can even
use "make update" to update your ports collection.

> Could anyone give me some cool addresses to learn on the subject?

The FreeBSD Handbook, 4.5 Using the Ports Collection is excellent:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
You mentioned it already.

The FAQ, Chapter 7 User Applications, covers other activities:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/applications.html

If you find things that are not documented enough, simply ask a
question here.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany