ZFS Question

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Wed Apr 8 09:36:10 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:57 -0700, Amaru Netapshaak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in using something like ZFS for its distributed nature. I run a file server
> with samba acting as a PDC. I also run a second server as a BDC.  What I would
> like is a method for keeping both servers "shared data" drives in sync when both the
> PDC and BDC are running.
>
> I am currently doing an incremental update twice daily to the BDC using rsync over
> SSH.  It works, but its just not good enough.. if the PDC goes down, anything created
> or altered after midnight or so, isnt propagated to the BDC.
>
> I understand I can use ZFS to accomplish this easily.. but from what I've read, you still
> need to manually push updates to the backup server over ssh via cron.  So I would still
> have windows of time where the file systems would not be in sync..  am I heading in the
> wrong direction here? I am beginning to think I am..
>
> I've been afraid of NFS for some time.. remembering back to the days when it was just
> not safe to use NFS.  I may have carried that fear on irrationally.. is NFS a viable
> solution to my problem these days?
>
> Thanks for the advice!

you could use ggated/ggatec together with gmirror

> +-+ AMARU

Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar at ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471