C programming question

William Gordon Rutherdale will.rutherdale at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 8 05:10:32 PDT 2009

Valentin Bud wrote:
> Thanks everybody for the heads up. I don't know (yet) which path i am going
> to take. I know a little bit of perl so i guess i'll start reading on how
> can i accomplish my goal with perl.
>
> thanks,

I've been programming for a very long time, and I can tell you that both
Perl and C/C++ have done me very well.

The centre of gravity keeps shifting in software, but most of the
scripting languages, and the libraries they depend on, are written in
C.  Installing most packages from scratch usually depends on having a C
compiler around and knowing how to use it.  The fundamental system
interfaces in all forms of Unix are written in and for C.  There are
always jobs out there requiring knowledge of C, especially in embedded
programming.

I would suggest that you can't go wrong taking the C path, and you would
probably do well trying it in Perl too.

-Will