portupgrade question

mv mrkvrg at acm.org
Tue Apr 7 14:05:53 PDT 2009

On Tue, 7 April 2009 16:17:40 Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM, new_guy <byte8bits at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there a way to use portupgrade without all the stopping for
> >> config questions?
> >
> > You could add:
> >
> >   BATCH=yes
> >
> > to /etc/make.conf.
>
> Or use the --batch command line option to portupgrade.
>
> Or use the -c option (as mentioned by someone else in this thread) to
> do all of the config questions up front.  I didn't know about that
> one.
>
> -j

Or use portconfig -a

My usual updating routine involves:

- update the ports tree using csup

- update the INDEX-x with the command "make index" in the
directory "/usr/ports"

- download all the tarballs upfront with the command "portfetch -a -v"

- do all the configuration upfront with the command "portconfig -a"

- do an unattended compile/install of the ports with the
command "portmaster -a -u -d -v"

The ports portconfig  & portfetch are part of sysutils/bsdadminscripts.

Portmaster can be found at ports-mgmt/portmaster.

It is possible to write a simple shell script that automatically does
all of the above.  The only time attention is required is to enter data
during the configuration process.

Cheers...

Marek