low-level format before install?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Tue Apr 7 12:16:07 PDT 2009

Well, I've got real problems with that database server that lost
power over the weekend. We reloaded FreeBSD from scratch and then
reinstalled mysql, and pf. I loaded up my database and switched over
all my customer's websites. The database server ran fine for about 2
minutes, and then died. At the moment, I can't even ssh into the
machine, although they can get into it using a keyboard/monitor at
the data center. In other words, sshd is not working.

I am now wondering what kind of format the FreeBSD install process
does by default, and if it is possible to do a low level format,
first, to block out any bad sectors (not sure if this is the right
terminology).

I'm starting to get real depressed about this machine... You would
think a top-tier data center could keep the power on...

-- John