Question about forcing fsck at boottime

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 7 10:45:18 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 02:34, Chris Rees wrote:

> \
> So, the answer is NO, it does NOT cause data CORRUPTION. A simple
> reboot solved it? Really, you're advocating guaranteed extended
> downtime every time there's a power outage, compared with a slight
> chance of a slightly longer downtime while every other time it comes
> almost straight up.
>
> Any more replies, please, read the damned question.

You had better define data corruption then.  In my book data that is
read and gives garbage back rather than the right data is corrupt.  It
doesn't matter if it gets "fixed" by a reboot later.  Thats only
helpful if you happen to notice that it needs a reboot.  If all you
are interested in is toy systems then this type of problem is of no
interest to you.  However, for those of us who run production systems
where clients have paid for service this is a serious issue.