new package system proposal

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Mon Apr 6 15:39:54 PDT 2009

perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
>> My suggestion is to start with a ports tree that is fixed in time.
>> Make that ports tree available as part of this package system and
>> compile a typical desktop set of ports ...
>
> Isn't this exactly what is currently done as part of a release?  The
> ports tree is tagged so that a snapshot can be retrieved using csup,
> and packages are built for publication on (for example)
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/

It is but the difference in what I am imagining is the frequency which
would be much higher than releases. And answering more than your
question, the difference between this and the pkg_add system is that
this is based on a fixed ports tree, whereas pkg_add is based on a
rolling ports tree, so "

> Granted this includes all package-distributable ports rather than a
> "typical desktop" subset.

I know you wrote something else but I am too tired to respond or rather
to read it properly tonight.

Tomorrow...

Chris