mergemaster options

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 05:04:20 PDT 2009

Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm upgrading form 4.6-RELEASE to 4.6-STABLE.
> When I get to the *second* run of mergemaster (after installworld),
> I'd be interested to hear the list's comments on using options to
> start mergemaster.
>
> For example, have you had good luck with:
> mergemaster -i -u (install any files that don't already exist, and
> attempt to install any files that haven't been user-modified)

Yes, I am using this all the time. Note that you need a capital "U":

mergemaster -iU

> Also, what is the first line of a file used for?  What parts of the OS
> 'care' about that line?  What would happen if I kept the existing file
> below, with it's older date and version #?  (This is just a made-up
> example).
>
> keep this existing file:
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/csh.cshrc,v 1.3 1999/08/27 23:23:40 peter Exp $
> my custom line
> blah
>
> delete this (fake) temporary file:
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/csh.cshrc,v 1.4 2000/08/27 23:23:40 peter Exp $
> blah
> blah
>
> I hope that's clear...?

The lines you see starting with $FreeBSD are used by the Version Control
System (CVS or SVN).
You have to judge by the content of the older file (not by the tag)
whether to keep or upgrade the file. Usually, you will let it upgrade
all files which you have not modified yourself. In some of these the
only thing that changes is the tag.
Before doing the mergemaster step, I suggest you keep a complete backup
copy of your /etc directory.  It may happen that you replace a file you
actually need. And it is a real problem if you overwrite, say,
master.passwd :)