ipfw: bandwidth limiting

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Apr 5 05:08:18 PDT 2009

> [snip]
> $ipfwcmd pipe 1 config bw 80KByte/s
> $ipfwcmd add pipe 1 ip from any to 192.168.10.0/24{100-254} via em1
> [snip]
>
> I'm not sure it works. When I do a large download which takes long and
> anybody else want download too, this download will only get a reduce
> bandwidth. I expect that the second download get same rate as the first one
> (and reduce the bandwidth from the first one). Is that correct?

your example limits it all to 80kB/s but does no traffic management. so it
may get the same rate (half by half) or may not.

do

$ipfwcmd pipe 1 config bw 80kByte/s
$ipfwcmd queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 1  mask dst-ip 0xffffffff
$ipfwcmd add queue 1 ip from any to 192.168.10.0/24{100-254} via em1

this will limit them to 80kB/s and perform fair-sharing based of hosts.

for example if one user on one computer will start 100 downloads, and
other on other computer will start 1 download, this will ensure that first
user will not takeover most bandwidth.