Recovering partitions from disk image?

snott skye at f4.ca
Fri Apr 3 16:47:02 PDT 2009

Warren Block wrote:

> Looks like scan_ffs is reporting block size.  I'd take a spare computer
> with a blank disk and do a minimal FreeBSD install on it, setting the
> units to blocks in the partition screen and duplicating the values given
> by scan_ffs.  Then connect your read-only image media and dd to each
> partition, using dd's skip option to skip over previous partition data.

OK, I can see how that would work.  I don't really have a spare
computer/drive to muck around with though, at least not easily.  If I can
work directly on the disk image that would be much better.

Could I fix the bsdlabel on the disk.img and mount it with mdconfig?
I noticed scan_ffs can output a bsdlabel config file.  Something like:

# scan_ffs -sl disk.img > disk.label
# bsdlabel -w -f disk.img auto  # write a fresh default label
# bsdlabel -e -f disk.img  # and load in scan_ffs output
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f disk.img -u 0

If that looks like it might work, should I fsck the disk image before or
after mounting with mdconfig or not at all?  Do I risk kernel panic without
fsck?

Thanks,
Skye