FreeBSD as a Business Server

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:39:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Michael Lednev
<reaper at reaper.yaroslavl.ru>wrote:

> Seur Bors пишет:
>
>> As well, if anyone has any web-links to recommended reading, I would
>> greatly
>> appreciate them.
>>

> You can try FreeNAS. It has "standard" file sharing with samba managed
> through web-interface and it also has many more nice features.
>
> Oh yeah, and it's FreeBSD. :)

Good points;

And a previous employer was running samba on a multi-site VPN school network
with 600 employees..  with a pretty high load.

Biggest thing I found when I started to look into it is the fact that each
client connection to the server yielded yet another PID to have the CPU work
under.  So a central server with 600 employees (potentially) hitting it at
once would bring the system load up very fast.  I saw system loads of
200-300 by use of nagios.

So it would be a wonderful solution; it may peg the system load higher than
one would initially expect, depending on what the fileserver actually serves
(CAD files, video rendering, Access MDB files, etc) as a potential
bottleneck.

I'd pick 10k RPM drives...if you're using more complex files like the ones
mentioned above.  A fast spindle speed will send the file down the wire and
releive system load (as it is logically going through my head).  I've seen
10k SATA drives, but the cooling is important.

FreeNAS might be a good choice, because it's a stripped down version.  But
I'd be concerned of system load higher than anything else for the current
situation, and expansion needs later.

Enjoy your weekends!