FreeBSD as a Business Server

Adam Vandemore amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:24:01 PDT 2009

Seur Bors wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am recommending a FreeBSD solution to replace an old business "file
> server".  The old server is running Windows 2000 Professional, and the
> company has grown from the 5 employee setting to now two floors and
> approximately 15 - 20 people.  They were starting to get connection errors
> to the Win2K machine, as I believe, without the Server version of the
> software, file sharing and maps are severely limited.
>
> Anyways, my question is thus:  In setting up a FreeBSD machine and utilizing
> Samba to support "standard" file sharing, is there any caveats or issues
> that anyone perceives?  I've done multiple FreeBSD installations, and
> utilize the Samba package to provide file sharing support in other small
> businesses, but have not had to consider 20 connections at once.  The
> network connection is just a simple router to switch, all gigabit, and the
> system I'm recommending to use as a server also has dual gigabit network
> ports.
>
> As well, if anyone has any web-links to recommended reading, I would greatly
> appreciate them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Seur Bors
> Legate Commander
> Knights Of The Old Code

Well there's a lot of info that would be needed to a well reasoned "Yes,
you can", but the short version is it shouldn't be an issue under normal
office-like usage.  Going from 5 to 20 connections in such a scenario is
negligible.  Samba system-agnostic tutorials are good sources of info,
but best advice is probably to use info provided by their official
documentation and mailing list.

Also, I have fbsd systems running samba with 20+ connections under what
I consider normal office environment with absolutely no issues except I
can't figure out how to get XP to save persistent login password.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator