Symantec Netbackup under 7.1 - Undefined symbol

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:09:08 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Vincent Hoffman <vince at unsane.co.uk> wrote:

> On 3/4/09 13:28, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This question is not purely about FreeBSD itself, but about getting
> > Symantec Netbackup (formerly Veritas) running under FreeBSD.
> >
> > First of all FreeBSD is supported directly; there's a native
> > commandline client for FreeBSD that supports 7.0.
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 7.1 (fresh kernel/system as per today), AMD64
> > architecture with Symanted NetBackup 6.5.3.1.
> >
> > Installation runs OK, but when I try to run any of the Symantec
> > programs I get the following error:
> >
> > # ./bpclimagelist
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./bpclimagelist: Undefined symbol "__h_error"
> > # file bpclimagelist
> > bpclimagelist: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.3, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
> FreeBSD-style, not stripped
> > #
> >

> This would lead me to think you need the port misc/compat5x installed.
> I havent any experience of netbackup though.

I agree with this statement, since it's clearly listed as it was compiled
FOR FreeBSD 5.3

The compatXy packages are for what I think I remember reading of kernel
system calls.  I think there's a package/port for the userland utilities
too..  misc/compat5x

However I'm a smidge confused.  The option that exists in the kernel and the
misc/compat5x port -- do they accomplish the same thing, or is it really
"kernel" and "userland" peices?