How to Update my Freebsd packages kernel and Core

Jacques Manukyan mlfreebsd at streamingedge.com
Fri Apr 3 05:11:41 PDT 2009

First off, welcome to FreeBSD. As the others stated, FreeBSD is quite
different in that there is a distinction between installing/updating 3rd
party software (called ports), or the base operating system (kernel and
system).

There are multiple ways to update the base system and kernel as well as
the ports. You can choose to do binary installs or build from source. I
prefer building from source when installing ports or updating the
kernel/system since I like to control everything.

One great thing about FreeBSD is that there are multiple ways to do
things so find what you feel best suits your needs and use it.

The handbook is the best place to start:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

I recommend you look at the following sections:

Installing and managing ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Updating ports and the operating system (kernel/system):
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading.html

-- Jacques Manukyan