How to Update my Freebsd packages kernel and Core

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Apr 2 16:36:12 PDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/4/2 Panos <panosx13 at gmail.com>:
>> Hello I'm new to Freebsd and I would like to know if there is
>> anything like
>> apt-get for upgrating everything in my Freebsd. If  not Could you
>> tell me
>> how I can do it.
>
> There is no 'apt' in FreeBSD.
>
> Documentation on how to manage your installed software is located
> here:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
>
>> Some of my packages are from ports and some using the sysinstall
>> and I
>> install them from the cd.
>> I use Freebsd 7.1
>>

> --
> Glen Barber

One of the distinctions that freebsd makes that linux does not is
between the base system and 3rd party software. Hence you will find no
unified tool that upgrades everything like apt does for debian. The
link above explains how to deal with 3rd party software. For the
kernel and base system check out freebsd-update.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel