Build/Install world via ssh

APseudoUtopia apseudoutopia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:11:30 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Simon Griffiths
<simon.griffiths at tenenbaum.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to get an answer to this via web searches etc.  I have a freebsd 7
> box that I plan on upgrading remotely via
>
> Make buildworld
> Make buildkernel KERNCONF=xyz
>
> Now im stuck,  I cannot get it down to single user because I only have
> access via ssh.  Would it hurt to
>
> Make installkernel KERNCONF=xyz
> Make installworld
>
> Mergemaster etc.
>
> Reboot
>
> ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Simon

I upgrade, compile, and install kernels and the world remotely on a
semi-regular basis. You just have to be careful with things, such as
installing the kernel to an alternate dir in /boot/ and using
nextboot(8) to test the kernel. You ABSOLUTELY have a chance of
something going wrong and hosing your system. Make sure you back up
files (and transfer those backups to another system).