Build/Install world via ssh

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Apr 1 15:10:26 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 05:38:47 pm Simon Griffiths wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to get an answer to this via web searches etc.  I have a
> freebsd 7 box that I plan on upgrading remotely via
>
> Make buildworld
> Make buildkernel KERNCONF=xyz
>
> Now im stuck,  I cannot get it down to single user because I only have
> access via ssh.  Would it hurt to
>
> Make installkernel KERNCONF=xyz
> Make installworld
>
> Mergemaster etc.
>
> Reboot

What specific versions are you upgrading to/from?

I personally do upgrades over SSH all the time (by skipping the
single-user step) but there are reasons it's not recommended. If your new
kernel doesn't work or play nicely for some reason you don't want to be
stuck with a world newer than your (reinstalled) old kernel. If the
system doesn't come back up multi-user for any of a variety of reasons
then you won't have SSH access, etc.

You should have good backups and a way to get console access if it's
needed. That said, it usually works--especially for small incremental
upgrades (7.0 to 7.1 or just different points along the same -STABLE
branch, etc).

So in a nutshell there are no guarantees but if you have an adequate
bailout plan it can be a timesaver.

JN