RR2314 Problems

Christopher Key cjk32 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 09:14:31 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get a HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 card working under FreeBSD
and am having problems.

> #uname -a
> FreeBSD chacal.wzl33 7.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p3 #3: Wed
Apr  1 15:00:07 BST 2009
root at chacal.wzl33:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHACAL  amd64

I've compiled the kernel with:
> device   htprr
> device   scbus
> device   da

The card is detected at startup:
> hptrr0: <sx508x> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem 0x90200000-0x902fffff irq 16
at device 0.0 on pci1
> hptrr: adapter at PCI 1:0:0, IRQ 16

but it fails to successfully detect any drives.  The card can clearly
see the presence of drives, as later on during startup (noting that I've
a drive connected to channel 3), I see:
> hptrr: start channel [0,0]
> hptrr: start channel [0,1]
> hptrr: start channel [0,2]
> hptrr: start channel [0,3]
> hptrr: [0 3] Start channel soft reset.
> hptrr: [0 3] Failed to perform channel soft reset.
> hptrr: [0 0] Failed to perform channel hard reset.
> hptrr: [0 1] Failed to perform channel hard reset.
> hptrr: [0 2] Failed to perform channel hard reset.
> hptrr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> hptrr0: [ITHREAD]

and moreover, whenever I power cycle the external drive, I get:
> hptrr: start channel [0,3]
> hptrr: [0 3] Start channel soft reset.
> hptrr: [0 3] Failed to perform channel soft reset.

However, no drives show up.

I've also tried the driver supplied by HighPoint (with a kernel without
device hptrr), but it fails to detect the card:
> rr2310_00: RocketRAID 231x/230x controller driver v2.1.08.0325 (Mar 25
2008 14:08:14)
> rr2310_00: no controller detected.

Can anyone offer any pointers on where the problem might lie, or how I
should go about debugging this.  I've tried several drives in two
different cases (both same brand though) with no success.  The cases do
have an option to connect via USB too, and this works just fine.

Kind Regards,

Chris Key