Xeon Quad with 9 GB RAM - only 4 GB detected

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Apr 1 07:44:04 PDT 2009

Wojciech Puchar <> wrote:
 > > I have finished the installation and yes, the entire amount is detected.
 > >
 > > Is this normal behaveour (why does it happen?)
 >
 > i'm not sure if install kernel is actually /i386 version.

It must be an amd64 kernel, otherwise it would not be
usable for "fixit" things.  Also, I don't see any specific
exceptions concerning kernels for amd64 in the release
build scripts (/usr/src/release).

Best regards
   Oliver

"When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb."
        -- Steve Haflich, in comp.lang.c++