going from cvs to svnq

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Apr 1 04:01:23 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 07:05:53AM -0300, Andrew Hamilton-Wright wrote:

> [ snippage of question re: svn and cvs ]
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > Andrew Wright wrote:
> >>
> >> The primary advantage of using svn is that the _server_ uses a
> >> different protocol to track objects.
> >
> > I think that's unclear, you can't mean that just having the protocol be
> > different, that's not that much of a win.  Having svn track extra things, like
> > directories, that I'd think was a win.
>
> I chose the word protocol poorly.  For "protocol" read "way of
> doing things", or perhaps "algorithm".
>
> What I was trying to make clear is that the choice of tool between
> cvs and svn is made based on server related criteria.
>

> > What I don't know is, I use cvsup all the time, but when I switch to svn, what
> > does the "cvsup" job of tracking an archive (not tracking the sources, I mean
> > the archive)?  Does svn do it all itself?  If so, I can find out how, I just
> > want to know if that's how its done.  If not, what's the general tool used to
> > track the freebsd archive, so I can investigate it?
>
> If you are asking "what is the name of the subversion client, and how
> can I use it?", then the answer is "svn" (which is also the executable
> used for the server, a la cvs with the "pserver" option).  Usage

No, 'svnserve' is normally the executable running on the server.

> instructions are available via:
>  	http://subversion.tigris.org
>

> If you are asking "what can I type to get a readonly copy of the
> repo?", then according to the ROADMAP.txt at:
>  	http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/ROADMAP.txt?view=markup
> the answer appears to be:
>  	svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/head

No, that is not going to get you a copy of the subversion repository, but
just a checked out copy of HEAD.

There is no 'svn' command that will give you a copy of the whole repository.

Personally I have found 'rsync' to be quite useful in replicating a
subversion repository, but that of course requires the server to support it,
which is probably not the case for the FreeBSD repo.

I don't know if there currently is any supported method for ordinary users
to get a copy of the whole FreeBSD subversion repository.  I suspect there
isn't.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson