Use of libgd

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Apr 1 02:02:27 PDT 2009

I am trying to use libgd to create some images.  They are creating
properly except there are color changes that I can't seem to figure
out.  The initial image is basically black and white PNG.  I have
converted it to GD2 format.  There are a number of secondary images
that have a couple of colors (black, red, blue etc).  Each of them has
been converted to GD2 format.  When any of these are converted back to
PNG format they display properly.  However when I load the initial
image, and then overlay it with one of the secondary images, the
colors in the secondary images change.  For example, red can become
yellow or black etc.  I tried gdImageCopyPalette from the secondary to
the primary before the overlay but that seems to have no effect.
Clearly I am missing something but can't seem to figure it out.  Any
ideas?  Thanks.