periodic not working?

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 15:55:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Mel
<fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008 03:07:13 Kurt Buff wrote:
>
>> I've got postfix installed for the MTA, and the main.cf, master.cf,
>> alias db hash and transport.db hash all look fine
>>
>> crontab looks just fine, too.
>>
>> I've run 'periodic daily' by hand from a root prompt, and get nothing,
>> whereas on the working machine I do get my email.
>>
>> Where might I start looking to fix this problem?
>
> They are in not in mailq? How about /var/mail/root then?
>
> --
> Mel

I've not found a directory called mailq. /var/mail/root does not exist either.

I've also checked in /var/spool/postfix/* and all directories are
empty or have zero-length files with dates from the installation of
postfix.

And, now I think I've found the problem - in /var/log/maillog, I find
the following:

Sep 25 03:01:21 loki postfix/smtp[24894]: D92DB1A4C67:
to=<root at loki.mycompany.com>, relay=none, delay=0.12,
delays=0.11/0.01/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for
loki.mycompany.com loops back to myself)

All I have to do is figure this out, and I think I've got it.

More research...

Kurt