Why not GNU cmp?

Ross Cameron ross.cameron at linuxpro.co.za
Thu Sep 25 12:18:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:34:50AM +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > You are asking the wrong questions: why did GNU write their own version
> > of cmp?  FreeBSD's dates to 1987.
>
> Y'know -- that's a really good question.

Not really its quite simple,... much like the *BSD camp prefers all their
tools to be BSD licensed, the GNU camp want all their tools to be GPL
licensed.
    They have their reason's for wanting to enforce the sharing of code
improvements.

I personally find that for different projects I prefer to use different OSs
as a base, some are GNU/Linux based and others are *BSD based.
Depends on the client and intended roadmap of the project.