geli and soft-updates

Vinny vinny-mail-01+f.questions20080919 at palaceofretention.ca
Wed Sep 24 02:43:53 UTC 2008

Fabian Keil wrote:
> Oliver Peter <lists at peter.de.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 09:45:29PM -0400, Vinny wrote:
[...]

>> I'm using ZFS on geli on my production server with 2 SATA2 disks.
>> Just create and attach the geli devices in /dev and then create
>> a zpool i.e. with
>>
>>   # zpool create crypt /dev/ad3.eli /dev/ad6.eli
>>
>> Works splendid.

> I'm using ZFS on three geli encrypted slices,
> the only problem I ran into was:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/117158
> "zpool scrub causes panic if geli vdevs detach on last close"

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm going to give it another try.
I used to run ZFS on top of geli but I had kernel panics.

I changed the providers to normal non-geli disks but still had
panics.  I found out later that the panics were kernel memory related
(kmem_malloc) since ZFS wants a lot.  I increased two of
the kernel memory parameters and haven't seen a panic again.

vm.kmem_size: 512M
vm.kmem_size_max: 512M

I guess I'll have to try the geli disks again now that the
memory has been increased.

Vinny