kernel upgrades

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 19 11:37:47 UTC 2008

Joe Tseng wrote:
> I'm still new to FreeBSD (coming from CentOS/Ubuntu) so this might be
> something totally obvious to others...  I know I can update ports by using
> portsnap fetch/extract/update - does this update the kernel source as well?

No, you need to do two things:

1) copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile somewhere, and edit
it to fetch the right version of the sources from the right server. If
you want to get exactly the version you have installed, you only need to
change the server. Look for the line starting with "*default host=" and
find a host near you from this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html
2) run "csup your-supfile" - this will fetch kernel and base system
sources (note that utilities like "ls", "top", "sendmail" etc. are not
ports in FreeBSD; also note that the cvsup client integrated into the
base system in all recent versions of FreeBSD is "csup" not "cvsup".

> How do I apply this new code?

Read here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html and
here:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/makeworld.html

In short:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld && make kernel && make installworld && mergemaster -U
&& reboot