Realtek 8111/8168B and Atheros 5100ABGN

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Sep 18 22:24:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:53 -0400, Demian Lessa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC and an  Atheros
> 5100ABGN wireless adapter on my notebook.
>
> FreeBSD-7 STABLE cannot configure either card. devinfo shows full info
> from the Realtek device and partial info from the Atheros device. In a
> nutshell, I have no network connectivity on this box.
>
> In PC-BSD-7, the Realtek works out of the box, but no luck with the
> Atheros card either. The issue here is that I don't know which modules
> are different from PC-BSD-7 to FreeBSD-7 STABLE.
>
> A recent thread I read on the web mentions a problem with 8168B not
> working in the stable or current releases (Jul/08 and Aug/08). Could any
> kind soul give me a couple pointers on how to get these cards to work on
> FreeBSD? I am using PC-BSD for now, but I'd rather use FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks to all,

I've had trouble with the 8111c, but I'm using 6.2 (tried 7 and didn't
think it was stable enough for my systems). Their is a 3rd party driver
mentioned under the drivers list, but its only suitable for FBSD up to
6.x.

Sorry I can't help further, but thats what I know about this hardware.

Cheers and good luck

believed to be clean.