Apache 1.3 Problems

Annelise Anderson andrsn at andrsn.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 16 07:37:04 UTC 2008

Chris wrote:

>Sounds like a (probebly external) firewall issue. Just because pings get
>through, doesn't mean the http requests are.

No firewall on my machine.

>I'd run ngrep or tcpdump on the console and double-check that the packets
>are actually making it to the server.

>Also, do a "sockstat -4" and make sure it's listening on the approprate
>IP.

Thank you both--

sockstat -4 show that it's listening on *:80, which is right.
Neither tcpdump (assuming I'm reading it correcting) nor httpd-access.log
shows any tcp packets at all getting through except when lynx is run
from the machine on which apache is running after Sept 12 at 2:12 a.m.
Thus, I assume packets are not getting to the server, except when
requested from the local machine.

email and ftp are working--and I can log into the machine remotely--
so stuff is getting out and in.  tcpdump shows a lot of other activity,

So, I'm stumped.

 	Annelise