linux flash plugin

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Mon Sep 15 12:12:05 UTC 2008

FBSD1 writes:
>  Running FreeBSD 7.0 Xorg/KDE/ Firefox browser.
>  Trying to use yahoo web messenger on Firefox.
>  The yahoo web messenger website says I need adobe flash player.
>  So I installed the linux-flashplugin7 from the package system.
>
>  Still can not get yahoo web messenger to run on Firefox.
>
>  Does any one have this working? Am I beating a dead horse?
>
>  Any pointers would be helpful.

	Four cases:
	1) native browser, flashplayer7.  Problem: many sites require
		flashplayer9, also flash7 has known security issues.
	2) native browser, flashplayer9.  Problem: flash9 doesn't work,
		pretty much at all.  Debugging is complex, made worse by
		flash* being a closed product.
	3) Linux browser, flashplayer9.  Reported to work much better,
		but still not trouble-free.  (Anecdotal evidence says
		flash9 sometimes has probles on genuine Linux systems.)
	4) Wine, Windows browser, Windows flashplayer.  Reported to
		work well, but performance uncertain.  Check with Wine
		docs (online) for possible problems.

	There are also gnash and swfdec; both support some but not all
of flash7.  Both are also native+open source, and under development.

				Robert Huff