/etc/hosts not working

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Sep 11 23:22:39 UTC 2008

Hello David:

		From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of David Naylor
		Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:49 PM
		To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
		Subject: /etc/hosts not working

		* PGP Signed: 09/11/08 at 13:49:05

		Hi,

		I am trying to redirect a URL request to a different address but it appears
		that /etc/hosts is not doing the job.  Example:

		127.0.0.1  google.com

		The way I understand it is that by typing google.com in a web browser it
		should result in the local page being displayed.  It instead goes to the
		proper Google page.

		`ping google.com' actually pings 127.0.0.1 but `host google' returns the
		actual IP addresses for google.

		/etc/nsswitch.conf has `hosts: files dns' and host.conf has `hosts\n dns'

		Any idea why the system calls are not honouring /etc/hosts?

		Regards

		David

		* David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com>
		* 0xFF6916B2

man host shows that the host utility is specifically for DNS-resolved lookups and looks at /etc/resolv.conf, not /etc/hosts

Regards,

Mike