HW recommendations for light weight server

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Sep 8 17:21:00 UTC 2008

I know that this is pretty far off topic, but I'm asking anyway.

I need to purchase/rebuild a relatively light-weight server for a
small LAN.  It will run a small MySQL server, DNS, DHCP, nagios, LDAP,
syslog-ng and a few other things, serving only a LAN.  My previous box
running this was a cheapo Fry's reject.  I went through two power
supplies on that one, before I gave up on it.

My current box is an HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n

   http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01154947&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3548659

that I got at a CompUSA fire sale.  Although it is still running, the
case near the power supply is very hot to the touch and it is giving
off a terrible stench.  CPU temperatures are perfectly fine, but I'm
taking the smell as a very bad sign.  That machine came with many
things that I don't use (DVD burner (only used during FreeBSD
installation), TV tuner, Wireless, etc) so they shouldn't be drawing
any power.

I need something that will run 24/7 in an environment that can
sometimes get up to 30C.  (I live in Texas, and try not to over do the
air conditioning.)

Something with an amd64 architecture would make the transition easier,
since I might be able to use my current disk.

So any thoughts or recommendations will be welcome.  If people wish to
email me off list, I'll provide a summary of responses.

Cheers,

-j