alternatives to mergemaster

Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez mapsware at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Sep 7 03:22:32 UTC 2008

El Sáb 06 Sep 2008, Christian Laursen escribió:
> "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> writes:
> > The downside of mergemaster is that it is only a 2-way merge, where a
> > 3-way would know better than you prompt you for changes that you
> > didn't make. This makes mergemaster far more tedious than it has to
> > be. Has anyone considered a good 3-way merge tool?
>
> I always run mergemaster in auto upgrade mode. From the man page:
>
> -U          Attempt to auto upgrade files that have not been user modi-
>             fied.
>
> This can also be achieved by putting "AUTO_UPGRADE=yes" in
> /etc/mergemaster.rc.
>
> Combined with auto install, mergemaster requires little effort.

I also recommend the "-i" option

 -i  Automatically install any files that do not exist in the
     destination directory.

The option -U depends on the existence of a database
(/var/db/mergemaster.mtree), witch does not exist the first time. So the
first time you run the mergemaster, you can not use the "-U" option.

But, my advice is, when you install FreeBSD in a computer, run mergemaster
before you upgrade the source code to build the database.

maps