changes to -CURRENT tty

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Sep 7 00:52:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:05:15 -0400, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
> (Yes, I'm on current@ ... in digest mode.  Besides others may be
> interested.)
>
> The 20080820 entry in /usr/src/UPDATING concerns a substantial change
> to the tty subsystem.  Assuming I'm not trying anything fancy, and
> that I edit out the not-yet-updated devices, may I reasonably assume
> updating kernel+world will not break anything?

Since you are running -CURRENT, it is worth keeping in mind that there
is no guarantee that the 'head' branch is stable enough for anything.
So _you_ are the one who has to pick up the pieces and reassemble a
working system if you update at the 'wrong time'.

Having said that I'm running a kernel+userland with the new tty code on
my laptop for a couple of weeks now.  Other than a minor annoyance with
screen, which was fixed by Ed already, I haven't noticed anything that
seems seriously broken.  The new tty layer was committed by Ed Schouten
at 2008-08-20, and I've updated my kernel and userland more than 20
times since that time.  The new tty code seems to work so far :)