"SYSCTL" error message upon bootup

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 2 18:41:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:51:13 -0400, Gerard <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> I could not find any mention of it in the 'route.h' file, [...]

/usr/include/net/route.h, Version 1.65.2.3, line 85:

85:extern u_int rt_numfibs;     /* number fo usable routing tables */

That's the only occurance I found. FIBS seems to have something
to do with multiple routing tables, a feature that needs to be
enabled via a kernel option; I'm not sure if this has been present
in FreeBSD 6 already.

> [...] nor is there
> anything in the 'sysctl.conf' file.

So the setting isn't requested via /etc/rc.d/sysctl at startup
(which reads from /etc/sysctl.conf), but from another service.
If it was,

	# /etc/rc.d/sysctl restart

would lead to the same error message

> The message is displayed just
> before the 'login' prompt.

As RW mentioned, "Do you have apache?", is there something like

	Starting additional deamons: apache
	sysctl: unknown oid 'net.fibs'

> How can I determine what program is causing this to occur?

What's "near" the error message? Usually the startup notification
prior to this message should identify the program that causes this
message.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany