Cannot login to root account on FreeBSD 7.0

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 31 09:29:34 PDT 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:24:52 +0530, Pramod Dematagoda <pmd.lotr.gandalf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed the shell to /bin/sh and it
> now seems to work fine, but really saying, sh seems to be crippled
> compared to csh, so I would like to get back to csh.

Please don't get confused: The Bourne Shell sh is to be considered
a batch shell primarily, it's not a dialog shell in the first place.
This is what the Bourne Again Shell bash would be mentioned as.
You can install it via "pkg_add -r bash" and then use it (note that
it's /usr/local/bin/bash then, not /bin/bash as in Linux). You can
use the chsh command to do this.

What does happen if you start a C Shell session from within the
working sh? Like this:

	$ csh
	user at host:~% _

Does this work?

Personally, the C shell is my favourite dialog shell, allthough
zsh and ksh, both available for FreeBSD, are powerful tools, too.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0