Cannot login to root account on FreeBSD 7.0

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 31 08:15:47 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 08:39:46PM +0530, Pramod Dematagoda wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 16:00 +0100, Mel wrote:

> > > Hey Jeremy,
> > >
> > > Thanks for looking into the problem, but unfortunately your solution did
> > > not work, I changed the root password to something else, however I still
> > > cannot login to root once I boot FreeBSD normally.
> >
> > There should be in indication in /var/log/messages or /var/log/auth.log.
> >
> I checked /var/log/messages, and I found something interesting, it seems
> that csh exits with signal 11(core dumped) right after a root login,
> there is nothing out of the ordinary in auth.log. But now what do I do
> to fix the problem, change the shell?

csh should not sig11.

Are you sure this machine does not have hardware problems?  Please
download and run memtest86++ from a CD.  You shouldn't have to run this
very long (15-20 minutes at tops in this case); errors will be quite
obvious.

You can try changing the shell to /bin/sh, but this is not recommended
(meaning, if/when you get the system working again, please change it
back to /bin/csh -- I can't stress this enough).

You can change the shell by following the above steps I gave you, but
using "chsh" instead of "passwd root".