Cannot login to root account on FreeBSD 7.0

Pramod Dematagoda pmd.lotr.gandalf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 06:59:28 PDT 2008

Hey there, I am a user of FreeBSD-7.0 and I must say that I am really
impressed with it, I must admit though that I used to be(still am) a
Linux user, so the switch wasn't that easy but I managed to do it with
help from the FreeBSD handbook(My thanks go to the authors of that
excellent guide).

But now I've faced a big problem, I can no longer seem to login to the
root account where whenever I supply the proper credentials to the login
screen, I always get thrown back to the login screen. This started
happening after I installed D-bus and HAL through the FreeBSD ports
which were built upon Xorg 1.5.1 which I had built myself previously, so
I am wondering if something I did may have caused the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.

Regards,
Pramod Dematagoda