Marvell 88E8052 PCI-E LAN on FreeBSD 7.0

Graham Bentley admin at cpcnw.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 06:31:15 PDT 2008

> You need to keep something in mind here: Marvell does not give out
> documentation for their cards publicly, so Yong-Hyeon has to
> reverse-engineer and "tinker" with what he already knows.  Some hardware
> feature do not work, others are buggy, others work fine on specific
> revisions of the chip while later ones break.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate that people are working in the
trenches on this stuff and thats great about FreeBSD.

I only switched to the Marvel .ko as it was suggested on previous
questions list, so didnt spend much time with the stock 7.0 driver.

> And if you tell me "Well Linux has support for this chip!", I will throw
> the following evidence back in your face: Marvell and other companies
> are giving Linux developers development PCI cards to develop drivers
> with (sometimes even before the card is out in the market), so Linux has
> the upper hand here.  They are not doing this with the BSDs.

I guess even specs would be nice - hardware donations would be nicer
though :)

> I would urge you to go out and purchase an Intel Pro/1000 PT card

Funnily enough, in the back of my mind I had the same thought upon
seeing the words 'Marvell' amongst the mobo spec. Thats said at
least they made an effort on supporting multi OS

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

even if they are a precious with their specs etc With some Vendors its
Windos or nothing.