freebsd-update "can't find update.FreeBSD.org"

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 29 16:00:45 PDT 2008

RW wrote:
> With portsnap the default server is itself one of the servers on the
> SRV list, so portsnap should fall-back to a working server even when
> DNS is unavailable (behind a proxy) or screwed-up by a router etc.
>
> I dont see a reason why update.FreeBSD.org shouldn't have the
> same A-record as update1.FreeBSD.org, so that it "just works".

With portsnap, I asked for the A record to be created not as a fallback
for people with broken DNS, but instead as a backwards compatibility
mechanism for people who were running old versions of portsnap which
didn't do SRV lookups.  To be honest, I didn't realize that there were
so many people with broken DNS resolution.

I'll ask the FreeBSD DNS admins to add an A record for update.freebsd.org.

Colin Percival