Script-friendly (parseble) ps(1) output?

Eduardo Meyer dudu.meyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:28:27 PDT 2008

Hello,

I need to write a cgi script which will print the output from ps(1) in
a table (html), so the average-operator can click on a KILL link and
the cgi will send the selected signal.

I need to add one ps information per column in a table (html),
however, I found ps(1) output to be too hard to parse. There is no
separator. I believed \t was the separator but its not.

The ps(1) command I need to use is:

ps -ax -o pid -o user -o emul -o lstart -o lockname -o stat -o command

Since many of those args use [:space:] in the output, I can not use
[:space:] as a separator.
Sadly, `-o fiend='value'` will only format the HEADER output, not the values.

Ive got no clue what to do, can someone enlight me?

Thank you all in advance.

--
Eduardo Meyer
pessoal: dudu.meyer at gmail.com