freebsd installation order

pwn pwnedomina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 11:39:21 PDT 2008

Jerry McAllister escreveu:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:56:01PM +0000, pwn wrote:
>

>> Jerry McAllister escreveu:

>>> I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild.
>>> Then update the ports tree
>>> Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel - or if
>>> nothing is critical, just skip that.
>>>
>>> Then, install what ports you want and start running.
>>>
>>> As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
>>> If so, if you are using it to get in on FreeBSD development, then
>>> do that now and daily.    If it is a server for something, then don't
>>> do that.  Just periodically or if some important patch comes put, pull
>>> in the latest security fixes with update.
>>>

>>> ////jerry
>>>

>> just to clarify
>>
>> I would say, first update FreeBSD src and rebuild. Then update the ports
>> tree
>> Re:both this task can be done using csup or cvsup and using the samples
>> provided in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
>>

> Yup.   That is what I use.
>

>> Then, if you must, configure a custom kernel
>> Re:(taking a look on hardware and editing generic for example)
>>

> Unless you are running something where absolute maximum performance
> is critical, don't bother removing things from the kernel.  Just
> limit customizing to adding those things you need that are not
> in by default - some drivers, maybe.
>

>> As for cutting edge, do you mean tracking CURRENT?
>> Re:yes, but i dont want get in on FreeBSD dev team, so i guess STABLE is
>> enought.
>>

> So, yup.   You seem to have it.
>
> ////jerry

on this page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
it says:
Tip: By default, when you build a custom kernel, all kernel modules will
be rebuilt as well. If you want to update a kernel faster or to build
only custom modules, you should edit /etc/make.conf before starting to
build the kernel:

isnt enought editing the configuration file?  part of the devices listed
there use modules that do not interest me which can i delete or comment,
why the use of /etc/make.conf ?
also, its possible to automate all this pos-installation tasks in order
to get things running fast and optimized? (i know /etc/make.conf can be
used for this) but there are other methods that require spendless time?