no reverse dns

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Oct 29 11:33:32 PDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> We have just moved offices and our freebsd machine has started
> complaining in the following terms
>
> Oct 29 17:14:39 int kernel: arplookup ww.xx.yy.zz failed: host is
> not on local network
>
> We have an external router connected as a dhcp server at 192.168.0.2
> which apparently has external address ww.xx.yy.zz. I am using a
> fixed ip address ie
>
> 192.168.0.6
>
> I have this in my rc.conf
>
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.2"
> hostname="int.myoffice.com"
> ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.6  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> and have dns mapping int.myoffice.com --> ww.xx.yy.zz,

If you tell the machine that it is int.myoffice.com and you set up DNS
which claims that hostname has an external IP, it will be sad because
it doesn't know how to reach that IP.  You can use DNS split-horizon /
views to return the internal IP when the machine asks, or simply keep
your external and internal names separate.  Ie, set up DNS like:

int.myoffice.com  A  192.168.0.6
ext.myoffice.com  A  ww.xx.yy.zz

Regards,
--